This is an original MDC bitter. It has grapefruit and dried tarragon, a combination of bittering agents, and whiskey, brandy and vodka as the alcohol base. This makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Grapefruit Tarragon Bitters
Entire peel of 1 large Ruby Red Texas Grapefruit
1/3 cup dried tarragon
1 whole star anise, crushed
1 1-inch piece dried ginger, crushed
1 2-inch piece cassia bark, crushed
2 teaspoons gentian
1/3 cup bourbon
2/3 cup vodka
Aging the bitters:
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and seal.
- Shake vigorously.
- Age 10 days in the refrigerator.
- Shake daily.
- After the tenth day, pass bitters through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or pitcher.
- Add 2 ounces brandy and 1 ounce simple syrup (these items are separate from original list above).
- Pass blended bitter mixture through coffee filter into a clean, sealable bottle and keep refrigerated.
Tasting notes: Sharp grapefruit notes softened by “dosage” of brandy and simple syrup. Use sparingly to add complexity and rich herbal flavors to cocktails.
Contents copyright 2014 My Daily Cocktails.